Dr Rahma Targett
Trust Your Face to a Doctor Trained in Dermatology and Cosmetic Medicine
What Are The Symptoms of a Spider Nevus?
For most people that have spider nevi, there are no symptoms at all except for the visual appearance. The arterioles that radiate out from the cenral spot may be purple, blue or red in colour. By pressing on the nevus it will disappear temporarily until you take your finger away and it refills with blood. Spider nevi may be found anywhere on the body but are mostly found on the legs, face and neck. Aching or burning may be experienced in the area of the nevus. Pain may occur when the person is standing for long periods of time and is usually in the legs.
Should I See My Doctor About My Spider Naevi?
If you feel unusually tired, bloated, yellow skin and eyes and have a spider nevus, it would be a good idea to see your doctor. Also see your doctor if you have multiple clusters of spider nevi, as this may indicate liver problem. If the spider nevi are not bothering you, then just mention to your doctor at your next doctors checkup.
What Causes Spider Naevi?
It is not entirely understood what causes a spider nevus to form. There are certain factors that seem to predispose people to get spider nevi;
– liver disease
-exposure to too much sun
– changes in hormonal levels
If you have more than one spider nevi this may be an indication of liver disease. Multiple clusters of spider nevi are often present in people with liver disease. Alcohol related liver cirrhosis also predisposes people to form sider nevi.
What Are The Risk Factors For Getting Spider Naevi?
Several factors will put you at higher risk of getting a spider nevus;
-family history. Weak vein valves may run families.
– hormonal changes associated with puberty, pregnancy and menopause
– age – ageing causes the valves in the veins to weaken
– obesity- excess weight can put more pressure on veins causing them to become incompetent
– Sitting or standing for long periods of time can cause blood to pool and put pressure on the vein valves.
What Is The Treatment For Spider Naevi?
In most cases there is no need to treat spider nevi. If they cause you discomfort or if you want to get rid of them for cosmetic reasons, then there are treatment options available.
The best treatment option is the Excel v vascular laser. The laser light specifically targets haemoglobin in the blood vessels causing the blood vessel to shut down. There will be a slight pain as each pulse of light energy is delivered. People describe it as being similar to a rubber band snapping against your skin. Several treatments may be necessary for complete removal of the spider nevi, although people often get good results with just one treatment.
Visit Our Home Page For Vascular Laser
Advanced Cosmetic Medicine
55,55 Melbourne St,
Ph: 0403 690 031
- 1 Spider Nevus Treatment Adelaide
- 2 Dr Rahma Targett
- 3 Trust Your Face to a Doctor Trained in Dermatology and Cosmetic Medicine
- 4 What Are The Symptoms of a Spider Nevus?
- 5 Should I See My Doctor About My Spider Naevi?
- 6 What Causes Spider Naevi?
- 7 What Are The Risk Factors For Getting Spider Naevi?
- 8 What Is The Treatment For Spider Naevi?
- 9 Visit Our Home Page For Vascular Laser
- 10 Vascular Laser
- 11 Our Location