Dermal Fillers - Adelaide
Welcome to Advanced Cosmetic Medicine. If you are thinking of getting dermal fillers, then you are not alone. In the age of social media and Zoom video conferencing, many of us have become increasingly aware of how we look. Naturally, we all want to look our best. Looking good also translates into feeling good about yourself. The way that you look is perhaps one of the greatest assets you have.
Cosmetic injections in Australia have become hugely popular due to their non-surgical nature, excellent results, fast treatment time and minimal downtime.
Both men and women can now enjoy fighting off the signs of ageing. Dermal fillers are an extremely versatile product and can reduce signs of ageing by; improving facial volume including the lips and the cheeks, filling fine lines and wrinkles and enhancing the features of the face.
Getting dermal fillers has become a mainstream thing to do, almost like going to the hairdresser. For those of us who are considering getting dermal fillers for the first time, it can be a daunting and scary process. At Advanced Cosmetic Medicine we are here to help you and make the process easy and stress-free. It is vitally important that you know what to expect, have reasonable expectations of the results and most importantly for you to feel safe and well cared for.
It is important to understand that getting dermal fillers is a medical procedure! Cosmetic Injections should only be carried out by a qualified doctor or supervised nurse. You should always be given a consultation with a qualified doctor to ensure that the treatment is safe for you and that you are a suitable candidate. For your peace of mind, you may check the qualifications of any doctor on the AHPRA website.
AHPRA also have a very good resource titled “Supporting a safe choice about cosmetic injectables”. This article will help inform you about the things you should be thinking about before getting dermal fillers, as well as some of the risks involved.
Another important thing for you to consider is the actual dermal filler product that will be used. Always check with the consulting doctor if the dermal filler is approved by the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration)
If you follow the advice you should be on track to have a positive experience and enjoy the results that dermal fillers can bring you.
What is Involved in a Dermal Filler Treatment?
Having dermal fillers is a very simple procedure, taking as little as half an hour to complete. The best thing about this procedure is that it is fast, relatively pain-free and the results are instantaneous.
Dermal fillers are made from a product that is already a natural part of your skin makeup (HA). Because of this, there is little chance of being allergic to the dermal filler product.
The process starts by arriving ten minutes early for your appointment to fill contact information, medical history and procedure consent forms.
Before the procedure, you will have a consultation with Dr Targett. During this consultation, she will discuss what is involved in the treatment, she will listen to your desired expectations and provide you with realistic expectations, she will take a full medical history to decide if you are a suitable candidate for dermal fillers, she will inform you what risks are involved in the procedure and also what aftercare is required. In consultation with the doctor, you will come up with an agreed treatment plan.
The actual injection part of the procedure only takes a few minutes and will be over very quickly.
The first step will involve taking “before” photos as a record of your appearance before treatment. Your face will then be assessed and the injection sites marked up to pinpoint the areas where the fillers will be injected.
Next, your skin will be cleaned using ?? to prevent any chance of infection occurring. The dermal filler will then be injected into the marked locations. The process involves injecting, evaluating and then adding more filler as required. You may feel a slight pinprick with each injection which most people find tolerable. Additionally, the dermal filler product often contains lidocaine to assist in numbing the treatment area. If you have a phobia for needles, a topical anaesthetic can be applied to your face prior to your treatment.
Once the results have been evaluated and deemed satisfactory, the injection markings will be cleaned off your face.
After the procedure, you should be able to return to your normal daily activities straight away. You will be able to see red prick marks on your face where the injection was made. You may also experience some bruising which is a common occurrence with all cosmetic injectables. At ACM we try to minimize this by using the Accuvein vein light.
You may like to bring along some makeup to mask any areas of redness. After your treatment, your face will feel tender and swollen. This will dissipate gradually over the next few days.
You will be invited to return to ACM for a follow-up appointment about two weeks after your treatment to assess the results once the bruising has gone as well as to have post-treatment photos performed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dermal fillers are injectable substances that smooth out wrinkles and fine lines, adding volume and hydration to create a youthful look. These are synthetic versions of substances that are produced naturally by the body.
ACM only uses fillers made from natural product (term forbidden by TGA). Natural Product (term forbidden by TGA) is a moisture-binding substance that keeps our skin plump and hydrated. While natural product (term forbidden by TGA) is naturally produced by our bodies, age and ultraviolet radiation can cause this production rate to drop. This causes our skin to lose both its suppleness and its ability to retain moisture.
When injected under the skin, natural product (term forbidden by TGA) fillers reduce the signs of aging in the targeted area by adding subtle volume, retaining water molecules and increasing collagen production.
Here at ACM, we believe that prevention is the best cure. By starting early on your anti-aging regime, you can slow down the effects of time.
If you start using dermal fillers in your 30s, you should never need a face lift. Not only are results more natural-looking, there are no surgical risks and very little downtime is needed after a procedure.
Dermal fillers come in different thicknesses and consistencies, each designed for specific areas of the face or body. Thinner consistencies and lightweight textures are best used in areas with more muscle movement or tension such as the lips, while thicker consistencies are used on areas with deeper creases or folds.
As dermal filler injections are non-surgical treatments, they can usually be completed during a single consultation session. Your first treatment will begin with a consultation with Dr. Targett to discuss your concerns and the look you want to achieve.
During your consultation, Dr. Targett will assess your areas of concern and review your medical history. While there are minimal risks associated with dermal filler, you are required to disclose your medical history before your treatment as factors like allergies, skin and neurological conditions, and certain medications can put your safety at risk and compromise your results. For instance, if you have been taking over-the-counter pain relief (such as aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen) or blood thinners, these can increase the chances of bruising.
Once Dr. Targett has confirmed your eligibility for the treatment, she will select the texture and consistency of the filler, depending on your area of treatment, depth of filler placement and the lifting and smoothing qualities of the filler.
Your treatment will only take 15 to 30 minutes, during which you will lie on one of our comfortable treatment couches.
First, Dr. Targett will clean your face to remove any makeup before applying an antiseptic solution to your face to kill any remaining bacteria, which will help prevent infection. She will then mark out your treatment area using a dermalight to avoid any large veins while administering the filler. This will be followed by gentle massaging and moulding of the area to ensure proper distribution of the filler.
After your treatment, you may continue to feel numbness from the anaesthesia contained in the fillers around your eyes, nose, and lips for 1 to 3 hours.
After the treatment
You will be able to return to normal activity right after the treatment, but you may experience some temporary effects from the treatment, such as redness, mild bruising and swelling. This should subside after a few days, but by avoiding alcohol and other blood thinners and refraining from exercise and other strenuous activities for one to two days, you can reduce the risk and extent of these after-effects. You should also sleep on your back on the night after your treatment to prevent the filler from being displaced and becoming uneven.
Depending on the product used and the areas treated, the initial results should be visible right after the treatment. But you will see optimal results in two weeks, once the swelling has subsided.
Natural Product (term forbidden by TGA) fillers are not permanent. Typically, they last between six to eighteen months, depending on the type of product used, the area treated and the patient themselves. Generally, the denser the product and the deeper it is injected, the longer the results will last. For instance, lip fillers typically do not last as long as fillers applied to nasolabial folds (the lines that run from the sides of the nose to the outer corners of the mouth). Some types of natural product (term forbidden by TGA) fillers are designed to last longer but are usually restricted for use in certain areas such as the cheeks. As the natural product (term forbidden by TGA) is absorbed by the body over time, to maintain the desired results, you will need to have repeat treatments. The upside to this is that they are an excellent choice for first-time patients who may be unsure about having fillers or the look they are aiming for.
Another benefit of natural product (term forbidden by TGA) fillers is that their effects are reversible. If you have a change of heart, Dr. Targett can perform the procedure to partially or completely remove your filler.
Dermal fillers can be used on deep wrinkles that cannot be resolved with anti-wrinkle injections. These static wrinkles include but are not limited to frown lines, forehead lines, marionette lines, nasolabial folds, smile lines and cheek lines.
- Cheeks: As we age, we tend to lose volume in the cheek region. Dermal fillers can replace this volume or reshape the contours of your cheeks.
- Lips: Fillers are a great way to replace volume loss over time, to achieve a desired lip style, or to create a youthful look by enhancing the natural shape of your lips.
- Tear troughs: Dermal fillers can address loss of volume under the eyes, improve the appearance of eye bags and dark under-eye circles.
- Nose: Fillers are a great non-surgical option for fixing minor imperfections in the nose, such as asymmetry or nose bumps.
As mentioned above, dermal fillers are not a permanent solution to facial volume loss, fine lines and wrinkles. However, by adopting a few good practices, you can prolong the results of your treatment:
- Discuss your goals and desired look with Dr. Targett during your initial consultation. That way, she can select the best type of filler for your needs and formulate a treatment plan to maintain your results.
- Keep your aesthetic medicine doctor informed. Always tell Dr Targett the medications you are on, as some medications are contraindicated before having a dermal filler treatment and others may reduce the effect of the treatment.
- Cut back on alcohol. Alcohol causes dehydration, which can accentuate fines lines and wrinkles. By drinking plenty of water and using moisturiser regularly, you can keep your skin hydrated.
- Invest in skin care. Using SPF before going outside in the sun and a daily moisturiser will protect your skin and keep it soft and supple. Other treatments such as skin needling and Laser Genesis can improve the production of collagen in your skin, keeping your skin younger for longer.
- Schedule routine touch-ups. By having regular touch-ups, you can extend your results for longer intervals between major treatments.
Absolutely. Combining dermal fillers with anti-wrinkle injections can create a subtly youthful look while simultaneously balancing your features. This combination is often referred to as a non-surgical or liquid facelift.
Fillers can also be used in conjunction with other treatments like Factor 4, Laser Genesis, or skin needling to revitalise the facial area.
At ACM, we endeavour to make your dermal filler treatment as painless as possible. Most of our clients experience very little discomfort during their procedure since dermal fillers contain lidocaine (a local anaesthetic) that numb any discomfort immediately upon injection. However, an initial pinch is usually felt from the needle, which feels like a toothpick pricking the skin. If you are concerned about the pain, topical anaesthetic can be applied to your treatment area beforehand.
- Modern Hyaluronic acid Dermal fillers are considered to be very safe. Hyaluronic Acid is a natural occurring substance found in the skin. There is unlikely to be any allergic reaction from HA filler injections or any long term effects such as cancer.
- The most common minor short term side effects following the procedure are; swelling, bruising, redness, itching and sometimes pimple like eruptions.
- More serious side effects are rare but may include; asymmetry, lumps under the skin, infection, loss of blood flow to the area causing skin necrosis, blindness.
- Dermal fillers can be dissolved by using Hyaluronidase if you are not happy with the results or in the event of a blood flow loss.
- Choose a doctor that is qualified and experienced in performing dermal fillers. Doctors should advocate natural looking results. Excessive use of fillers may cause stretching of the skin, disturbance of fat pads and some degree of irregularity of the face.
- The dermal filler that is used should be listed with the TGA. The TGA research and test all drugs used in Australia to keep Australians safe.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. With the right communication between you and your treating Cosmetic Doctor you should be able to achieve natural, beautiful and safe results.
Contraindications are rare. To date, there has been no evidence of allergic reactions to fillers currently on the market.
If you have a history of normal wound healing, you should heal normally after getting dermal fillers. However, you should not have dermal fillers if you have had recent surgery or have any active infective processes occurring or if you are pregnant.
Side effects from dermal fillers are very rare. For those who do get them, the side effects tend to be short-lived and will wear off after a few hours. Most cases in which side effects occur are caused by improper injection technique or improper dosage. It is important to choose a doctor who is experienced and trained in aesthetic medicine to avoid these types of complications.
With that said, at ACM, we believe in giving our clients the information necessary for them to give their informed consent.
Mild to moderate side effects may include numbness, itchiness, bruising and redness and swelling.
Other potential side effects include injury to blood vessels, granulomas, nodules, bumps, cysts, allergic reactions, skin cell death, blindness and tissue necrosis. Dermal fillers causing blindness and tissue necrosis is extremely rare and would only occur if the dermal filler were injected into an artery. This is why cannulas are often used these days to administer dermal fillers as they cannot penetrate arteries and cannot cause injury to blood vessels.
Your dermal filler treatment will always be administered by Dr. Targett, a registered general practitioner trained in Primary Care Dermatology and Aesthetic Medicine. By having your procedures performed by the same doctor each time, you can expect consistent results and a high standard of care.
Dermal fillers do not migrate through the body after the procedure and there is no documented evidence that fillers can harm your baby in any way. This allows no cause for concern if you’re undergoing the treatment while pregnant. However, to err on the side of caution, it is best to avoid dermal fillers during pregnancy. Always inform your doctor before having dermal fillers if there is a possibility that you could be pregnant.
You should stop taking all blood thinners – including aspirin and ibuprofen – for 5 to 7 days before your procedure. Blood thinners increase the tendency of bruising during the treatment. However, you should consult your doctor who prescribed your medication before stopping your medication.
Some supplements also have blood-thinning properties and should be avoided several days before your dermal filler treatment.
After having dermal fillers, you are most likely to experience swelling under the eyes and the lips. About 20% of patients will have significant swelling after their treatment and the swelling will be at its maximum the day after their treatment.
Here are some steps you can take to reduce the extent of your swelling and ensure optimum results:
- Ease any swelling and bruising by applying a cold compress to the treatment area immediately after the procedure.
- The day after your procedure, use a warm compress to increase circulation and encourage the swelling to subside.
- Keep your head elevated as much as possible for the first 24 hours after your procedure.
- Sleep on your back. Sleeping on your face can displace the filler and make it uneven.
- Cleanse and apply makeup to your face using light, gentle motions to avoid displacing the filler.
- Wait 2 weeks before returning for your post-treatment assessment of your results, as significant swelling may last up to 4 days and residual swelling
,up to 2 weeks.
- Don’t engage in excessive or strenuous exercise for one to two days following your treatment. Physical activity increases blood flow to the skin and can exacerbate bruising and swelling.
- Don’t take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, as this may thin your blood and cause bruising. If you are experiencing pain after the procedure, you may take paracetamol.
- Don’t massage the treatment area after the procedure, even though it may be sore. This may displace the filler and affect your results.
- Don’t drink alcohol for twelve hours after your treatment. This will help prevent any unwanted swelling and bruising.
- Don’t make excessive facial movements for the first few days after the procedure while your filler settles.
Dr Targett may also discuss other aftercare procedures at your appointment. Should you have any concerns following your procedure, please do not hesitate to contact ACM.
ACM Dermal Filler Treatments
Why Choose Advanced Cosmetic Medicine
Our commitment to you is to provide you with the highest standard of service, treatment and patient care. You will always receive personal attention and treatment from Dr Rahma Targett each and every time you visit us.
Dr Targett will take the time to listen to your cosmetic needs and provide you with sound advice and realistic expectations. We will work with you to develop a plan tailored to your specific needs and goals. Dr Targett will take the time to explain the procedure and provide you with expectations of the outcomes.
Following your treatment, we will provide you with the aftercare and advice that you deserve. At Advanced Cosmetic Medicine, you will have the peace of mind that you are being treated by a qualified doctor in aesthetic medicine.
Dr Targett and her team will provide you with everything you need to achieve your aesthetic and health goals.
Recently, Advanced Cosmetic Medicine launched Australia’s first and only NuEra Tight RF treatment. It was one for the books, and here’s another reason to love Advanced Cosmetic Medicine. On December 9, 2020, Dr. Rahma Targett became the first-ever cosmetic physician to introduce a revolutionary aesthetic treatment in Australia. LEARN MORE
The HydraFacial is the treatment you need in your life to drastically improve your skin in just one session. It’s the only facial I’ve ever experienced that leaves you with instant skin gratification and a glow that long outlasts the typical one day, all with zero downtime. The Hydrafacial has instant radiance-imparting properties and uses
Skin Boosters are micro-injections composed of dermal fillers injected into the skin. Unlike traditional dermal fillers, they are not injected beneath the skin to volumise or shape the face. Instead, they are very fine dermal fillers that hydrate and improve skin quality. So, for those who aim for a dewy, glowing look, this treatment is perfect for you! Skin boosters are generally used