Lip Fillers Adelaide
Who doesn’t want beautiful lips? Your lips may be naturally thin or showing signs of thinning or wrinkles due to ageing. A lip augmentation (also known as lip fillers, lip injections, lip enhancement, lip enlargement) treatment gives you the full, shapely and beautiful lips you’ve always wanted.
People are born with distinct physical traits and features, although as time goes by, these features change naturally as part of ageing, genetics, and environmental factors. Our bodies produce less collagen and elastin as we age leading to sagging and reduction of volume in areas of our face. A specific part of our face that is greatly affected by these is our lips.
Who doesn’t want youthful-looking lips?
Lip augmentation is here to flaunt its benefits. Although it is more popular with the younger crowd, it is a procedure that people of any age can enjoy and benefit from.
Enhanced, youthful-looking refreshed lips await you.
While thinness is desirable in certain areas of our body like in the belly area, many prefer a thicker and plumper look in certain areas, in this case, the lips. As you know, thinner lips are also associated as a sign of ageing or looking angry. Good thing that there is now a quick and easy procedure to tend to this and it’s called lip augmentation. Its result? A younger, healthy-looking, plumped up lips.
Lip fillers are versatile cosmetic injectables that can make subtle or dramatic results. Aside from its plumping effect it also boasts of other benefits.
Continue reading on for a better understanding of lip augmentation and bust the popular myths surrounding this lip treatment.
1. Lip injections can effectively soften the lines and wrinkles around the lips.
2. The Lip augmentation procedure is quick, easy, and relatively painless.
3. Lip augmentation with fillers can offer a natural-looking result.
4. Lip fillers can be used to address different concerns such as restoring lost volume, defining the lip border, and even correcting asymmetry.
5. Lip fillers are made from hyaluronic acid (HA) — A naturally occurring compound found throughout the body’s connective tissue. It’s often used for cosmetic purposes and skincare products.
6. Dermal fillers can be dissolved, if you are not satisfied with the results or have changed your mind about the procedure you can ask your doctor about it.
What to Expect
We will go through your medical history and discuss with you your goals and expectations about the treatment. We will also inform you about things you need to know about the lip augmentation procedure for a deeper understanding of it, then we will determine if the procedure is suitable for you.
Once you have decided to proceed with the procedure, topical cream or topical anesthetic will be applied to your lips to make them numb for several minutes. The numbing effect can alleviate the discomfort during the treatment.
To add filler to your lips, a series of small injections will be performed. With the advanced injecting technique, fewer injection points will be performed so you will not feel like a pin cushion during the procedure. The number of millilitres (ml) that will be injected will be different for every patient depending on the result you want to achieve. The treatment procedure will take around 20 minutes.
Remember that after the procedure, your lips will be swollen for at least a week, so it’s important to wait before you decide whether you are happy and content with the look of your lips. Aftercare instructions will be provided by your clinician to help you care for your treated lips.
How it works
What are lip fillers?
Lip fillers are made from hyaluronic acid, a natural product that is a type of sugar found naturally inside your body. It attracts water and creates volume and lip definition when it is injected into your lips. Because lip fillers are a natural substance, the body thinks it’s its own and does not break them down very fast, meaning they will last much longer. Also because it is a natural substance the body does not form an allergic reaction to the filler.
Wondering Why People Want to Get Lip Augmentation?
There can be several reasons why a patient may seek to have more volume to their lips. Lip dermal filler procedure is popular among the younger clients who are keen to imitate style icons, while most of the time more mature patients seek the procedure’s benefits to restore volume and redefine their lips. But some patients simply want to get lip augmentation because they have naturally thin lips and want plumper lips for a change.
Whatever the patient’s reason is, lip fillers can;
- Improve the width and definition of the vermillion border.
- Achieve a fuller pout by adding volume to upper and lower lips.
- Enhance cupid’s bow to create extra definition.
- Volumising dermal fillers can improve and define the philtrum ridges, like the lines going up to the nose.
- Reduce vertical smokers lines or perioral lines on the upper lip.
- Oral commissures, the lines running downwards from the corner of the mouth, can be made to appear more discreet.
- Marionette lines, the lines running downwards from the corner of the lips, can be filled to look less visible.
Lip augmentation, best known as lip fillers or lip injections, is not just about making lips bigger.
One of the best features of lip fillers is that they can be used to restore fullness and reshape ageing thin lips, but it is not as simple as stuffing the lips with dermal fillers to volumise the lips. This aesthetic procedure plump and recreates the shape and definition of the lips diminished with time by different factors.
Lip anatomy care of:
Preparation for Lip Injection Appointment
- Patients need to remember to avoid any blood-thinning medications or over-the-counter supplements to ensure the best and safer results, as this may lead to excessive bleeding during the procedure.
- Patients who have a history of cold sores should note the condition to their aesthetic clinician as this could contribute to another flare-up of cold sores.
- Avoid using dermal fillers or lip injections if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have allergies to the ingredients, or if you are suffering from neurological disorders.
- Alcoholic beverages should also be avoided 24 hours before your appointment.
Inform us at Advanced Cosmetic Medicine if you have any medical conditions or have any questions about lip augmentation before your appointment.
What to Expect After the Procedure
- Avoid strenuous activity or exercise for the first 24 to 48 hours after the appointment. This way, the injection site will heal properly and you will keep your blood pressure and heart rate from elevating to levels that may increase your body’s swelling.
- Drink plenty of water after your procedure. Staying hydrated will help your body’s natural healing response.
- Experiencing a little redness, swelling and discomfort around the injection site and corner of your lips is common. To help minimize swelling and discomfort, apply ice immediately after the appointment and in the following days as needed.
- You might observe your lips looking overfilled, this happens as your lips begin to fill out and form from the injections, swelling and moisture-retaining properties of the filler starting working. Results will improve during the next several weeks throughout the brief healing phase.
Lip Filler Aftercare Tips
Just like any other part of our body, we need to understand it first to take good care of our lips. Following these aftercare tips can help minimise bruising and swelling, and help optimise lip augmentation’s full benefits:
- Avoid makeup and lip products for the first 24 hours.
- Apply ice throughout the first 24 hours to reduce swelling, itching and discomfort.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Eat hydrating fruits and vegetables, and avoid foods high in sodium.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks and blood thinner medications for 24 hours.
- Avoid pressing firmly or massaging on the lips for at least one week..
- Sleep with your head elevated on a firm pillow and avoid heavy exercise for 48 hours.
Before & After
Dr Rahma Targett
Dr Rahma Targett is a General Practitioner(FRACGP), with a specialty in Cosmetic Medicine. She founded Advanced Cosmetic Medicine in 2016 and has since become well known as a trusted and in demand Cosmetic Physician in Adelaide. She has a Diploma in Dermoscopy and a Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine with the American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine. Dr Targett is a leader in her field and regularly attends Cosmetic conferences to keep up to date with modern aesthetic techniques. At advanced Cosmetic Medicine you can always be reassured that you will be welcomed and treated personally by Dr Rahma Targett.
Do you have more question? Please contact usCONTACT US
Does it hurt to get lip fillers?
A topical numbing cream may be applied to the lip or alternatively, a lidocaine injection may be given to help the lips go numb. This will aid in your comfort during the procedure. Most lip fillers these days contain lidocaine, so the numbing medicine and the lip filler are injected simultaneously. Most people describe the pain a little like a bee sting, but after the lidocaine takes to affect the procedure is easily tolerated and you should only feel slight pressure upon injection.
Why should you have lip enhancement performed by a doctor?
Experience is key. Performed by an experienced doctor, a lip augmentation/lip enhancement will give you both beautiful lips and natural-looking results. If someone is inexperienced or has a poor aesthetic sense, there is the risk that your lips may become too big or have a stiff, unnatural appearance.
How long does the procedure take?
The lip augmentation procedure takes less than one hour. You will have a consultation with Dr Targett before the procedure to determine exactly the look you are trying to achieve as well as to inform you about the procedure and any risks involved.
Will there be any bruising after having lip fillers?
After leaving the clinic, your lips may feel numb and appear quite big (lip plumping). This however is mostly due to the swelling not because too much dermal filler was injected. You may also see small red dots which is where the needles penetrated the skin. These will clear up after a day or so.
The injection may irritate some blood vessels and cause some bruising. Bruising does not always occur but it is a common occurrence so it is best to expect it up front. Not a lot can be done for the bruising except to wait for it to resolve. An ice compress may help to stop the bleeding initially.
The filler itself may evoke a bit of a reaction and inflammation may occur. This generally resolves after a day or so.
How do lip augmentation with fillers work?
A lip augmentation treatment uses a facial filler. These products are gels made with the hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in the body. Lip fillers work by attracting water molecules which help to create lip plumping and to make them look fuller and firmer.
Studies have shown that these fillers provide immediate results and are free of serious or long-term side effects because the natural product is almost identical to that produced by the body.
Can I massage my lips after having lip fillers?
Your lips will be a bit firm and possibly bumpy for a week or more after lip injections, this is normal. Lip plumping injections definitely make your lips feel a lot plumper. If you massage your lips it is possible that you may move the filler around, which could cause a very undesirable result.
Studies have shown that these fillers provide immediate results and are free of serious or long-term side effects because hyaluronic acid is almost identical to that produced by the body.
What is the recovery time after having lip fillers?
The recovery time from lip injections is normally one day. Bruising, swelling and soreness, however, may persist for up to one week. Very rarely, the dermal filler injected may cause an injection site reaction which may last for one to two weeks.
Will there be any downtime after having lip fillers?
After having lip fillers, there will usually be a period of swelling for about 24 hours after the procedure. The natural product within the filler is picking up water and causing the lips to swell. Applying ice to the lips will help during this time. Most people return to work the next day after having lip fillers. You may notice swelling yourself but those around you will usually not notice. If you are concerned about lip swelling it is often a good idea to plan a few days off after having a lip enhancement procedure.
Will my lip fillers look natural?
When it comes to lip fillers and lip augmentation, there are several important steps that need to be considered.
- Always have a consultation with your doctor beforehand to ensure you are both on the same page as far as what your expectations and desired look are.
- The choice of filler used is an important consideration. We always like to use newer fillers specifically designed for the lips.
- Lastly, the skill of the doctor injecting the filler plays an important role. Everyones anatomy is different so techniques and approaches need to be adaptable to each and every client. A custom approach is necessary and it often comes down to the skill and experience of the doctor. Be aware that lip plumping on thin lips will not look as natural as lip limping on larger lips.
Are lip fillers suitable for thin lips?
For thin lips, the use of dermal fillers specifically designed for lips can achieve great looking and natural results. The type of filler used is important, but more importantly, the experience and skill of the doctor performing the injections should be considered. This is a science and an art, so always consider the skill of the doctor if you want to achieve natural-looking results.
Can I have lip fillers if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant, then it is definitely not advisable to have lip augmentation. You will never know if lip fillers might react with your body and developing baby in a way that might harm your baby? There is no scientific evidence to say that this is the case, and if you had lip fillers before you knew that you were pregnant, then you need not worry. Please inform your aesthetic medicine doctor that you are pregnant before having any lip filling procedure performed.
What are the pre treatment instructions for having lip fillers?
- Let us know if you have a history of Herpes.
- Avoid dental work 2 weeks prior to having lip injections
- Avoid all blood thinning medications for 7 days prior to treatment.
- Check with your doctor before stopping any medication for heart related problems.
- Avoid at ageing products such as retinols and retinoids for 3 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hrs prior to having lip injections.
- Avoid dermal fillers if pregnant or allergic to dermal fillers.
- Ask your doctor if you have any questions or concerns before having lip injections.
What are the post treatment instructions for lip fillers?
- Apply icepack after treatment to help reduce swelling and any bruising.
- Do not apply any excess pressure to the area including massage.
- Avoid exercise for the remainder of the treatment day.
- Avoid UV exposure until swelling has subsided.
- Wait 4 weeks before getting any skin care or laser treatment.
- Bruising will generally fade within 2 weeks.
How long will my lip fillers last?
Lip fillers generally last from between six to twelve months. A number of factors such as an individuals, skin condition, lifestyle, age as well as the type and amount of filler injected, will play a role in how long it lasts.