Lip Augmentation Adelaide
Who doesn’t want beautiful lips? Your lips may be naturally thin or showing signs of thinning or wrinkles due to ageing. A lip augmentation (also known as lip fillers, lip injections, lip enhancement, lip plumping ) treatment gives you the full, shapely and beautiful lips you’ve always wanted.
A lip enhancement will increase lip volume for a fuller, plumper look, define the border of the lips (vermillion border) for a more defined shape and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in your lips.
We look forward to your visit.
Dr Rahma Targett
Lip fillers are made from hyaluronic acid which is a type of sugar which is found naturally inside your body. It attracts water and temporary volume and lip definition when it is injected into your lips. Because lip filers are a natural substance the body thinks it is it’s own and does not break it down very fast, meaning it will last much longer. Also because it is a natural substance the body does not form an allergic reaction to the filler.
Lip augmentation or lip fillers are definitely the best and most long term form of lip plumping. It is the hyaluronic acid contained in lip fillers which causes lip plumping action due to its natural affinity to attract water molecules. Lip plumping often refers to products that are available to be purchased that can be applied to the lips to help give them the appearance of being more plump.
Having plumper, smoother and softer looking lips will help to freshen your face and improve your smile. Lip enhancement are growing in popularity amongst people of all ages to help enhance their smile and facial appearance. This treatment is safe, fast and effective and requires very little downtime.
Our lips form a defining part of our facial appearance. By enhancing your lips you can improve your smile, feel more youthful and gain in self confidence. Lip enhancement can do much more than just plump your lips. Lip enhancement can also help to reduce vertical lines above the lip and even create an upturn to the corners of your mouth.
What to expect
Experience is key. Performed by an experienced doctor, a lip augmentation / lip enhancement will give you both beautiful lips and natural looking results. If someone is inexperienced, or has poor aesthetic sense, there is the risk that your lips may become too big or have a stiff, unnatural appearance.
There is no need to wait for beautiful lips. To find out if Lip Augmentation treatments are right for you, contact us today for a complimentary consultation and assessment.
How Long Does The Procedure Take?
The lip enhancement procedure takes less than one hour. You will have a consultation with Dr Targett before the procedure to determine exactly the look you are trying to achieve as well as to inform you about the procedure and any risks involved.
Does It Hurt To Get Lip Fillers?
A topical numbing cream may be applied to the lip or alternatively a lidocaine injection may be given to help the lip go numb. This will aid in your comfort during the procedure. Some lip fillers these days contain lidocaine, so the numbing medicine and the lip filler are injected simultaneously. Most people describe the pain a little like a bee sting, but after the lidocaine takes affect the procedure is easily tolerated and you should only feel slight pressure.
Will There be Any Bruising or Swelling After Having Lip Fillers?
After leaving the clinic, your lips may feel numb and appear quite big(lip plumping). This however is mostly due to the swelling not because too much dermal filler was injected. You may also see small red dots which is where the needles penetrated the skin. These will clear up after a day or so.
The injection may irritate some blood vessels and cause some bruising. Bruising does not always occur but it is a common occurrence so it is best to expect it up front. Not a lot can be done for the bruising except to wait for it to resolve. An ice compress may help to stop the bleeding initially.
The filler itself may evoke a bit of a reaction and inflammation may occur. This generally resolves after a day or so.
How do Lip Fillers Work?
A lip augmentation treatment uses a facial filler. These products are gels made with hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in the body. Lip fillers work by attracting water molecules which helps to create lip plumping and to make them look fuller and firmer .
Studies have shown that these fillers provide immediate results and are free of serious or long-term side effects because the hyaluronic acid is almost identical to that produced by the body.
Can I Massage My Lips After Having Lip Fillers?
Your lips will be a bit firm and possibly bumpy for week or more after lip injections, this is normal. Lip plumping injections definitely make your lips feel a lot plumper. If you massage your lips it is possible that you may move the filler around, which could cause a very undesirable result.
What is The Recovery Time After Having Lip Fillers?
The recovery time from lip injections is normally one day. Bruising, swelling and soreness however may persist for up to one week. Very rarely, the hyaluronic acid injected may cause an injection site reaction which may last for one to two weeks.
Will There Be Any Downtime After Having Lip Fillers?
After having lip fillers, there will usually be a period of swelling for abut 24 hours after the procedure. The hyaluronic acid within the filler is picking up water and causing the lips to swell. Applying ice to the lips will help during this time. Most people return to work the next day after having lip fillers. You may notice swelling yourself but those around you will usually not notice. If you are concerned about lip swelling it is often a good idea to plan a few days off after having a lip enhancement procedure.
Will My Lip Fillers Results Appear Natural?
When is comes to lip fillers and lip augmentation, there are several important steps that need to be considered.
1) Always have a consultation with your doctor beforehand to ensure you are both on the same page as far as what your expectations and desired look are.
2) The choice of filler used is an important consideration. We always like to use newer fillers specifically designed for the lips.
3) Lastly, the skill of the doctor injecting the filler plays an important role. Everyones anatomy is different so techniques and approaches need to be adaptable to each and every client. A custom approach is necessary and it often comes down to the skill and experience of the doctor. Be aware that lip plumping on thin lips will not look as natural as lip limping on larger lips.
Lip Fillers on Thin Lips
For thin lips the use of dermal fillers specifically designed for lips can achieve great looking and natural results. The type of filler used is important, but more importantly the experience and skill of the doctor performing the injections should be considered. This is a science and an art, so always consider the skill of the doctor if you want to achieve natural looking results.
Lip Fillers For a Small Mouth?
Yes, you are right to be cautious when considering having lip augmentation for a small mouth. We have all seen unnatural and unflattering examples of lips being overfilled! An expert lip injector will have the knowledge and understanding of where and how much lip filler needs to be injected. The mouth can be made to look wider by injecting more filler into the corners of the mouth. Always discuss the look you are trying to achieve with your aesthetic medicine doctor.
Can I have Lip Fillers If I Am Pregnant?
If you are pregnant, then it is definitely not advisable to have lip augmentation. You will never know if lip fillers might react with your body and developing baby in a way that might harm your baby? There is no scientific evidence to say that this is the case, and if you had lip fillers before you knew that you were pregnant, then you need not worry. Please inform your aesthetic medicine doctor that you are pregnant before having any lip filling procedure performed.
Can I Drink Alcohol Before And After Having Lip Fillers?
Do not drink alcohol for 3 to 4 days prior to having lip injections and also 24 hours post your treatment. Alcohol caused inflammation. You do not want your already swollen lips to get even bigger! Stay hydrated but please avoid alcohol and allow your lips a chance to heal after your lip fillers procedure.
How Much Do Lip Fillers Cost?
The cost of lip fillers is calculated on a per volume basis. The price will vary depending on which lip filler you select and also the volume that needs to be injected.
Lip Filler Specials
At Advanced Cosmetic Medicine we often have specials on lip fillers. We will advise these specials on our Facebook page as well as mention them here, should we have any specials in the future.
Lip Fillers Pre Treatment Instructions
- Let us know if you have a history of Herpes.
- Avoid dental work 2 weeks prior to having lip injections
- Avoid all blood thinning medications for 7 days prior to treatment.
- Check with your doctor before stopping any medication for heart related problems.
- Avoid at ageing products such as retinols and retinoids for 3 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hrs prior to having lip injections.
- Avoid dermal fillers if pregnant or allergic to dermal fillers.
- Ask your doctor if you have any questions or concerns before having lip injections.
Lip Injections – Post Treatment Instructions
- Apply icepack after treatment to help reduce swelling and any bruising.
- Do not apply any excess pressure to the area including massage.
- Avoid exercise for the remainder of the treatment day.
- Avoid UV exposure until swelling has subsided.
- Wait 4 weeks before getting any skin care or laser treatment.
- Bruising will generally fade within 2 weeks.
Before and After Having Lip Fillers
ACM Blog Posts
Advanced Cosmetic Medicine
55,55 Melbourne St,
Ph: 0403 690 031
- 1 Lip Augmentation Adelaide
- 1.1 Dr Rahma Targett
- 1.2 “Trust Your Face to a Doctor Trained in Dermatology and Cosmetic Medicine”
- 1.3 Lip Fillers?
- 1.4 Lip Plumping
- 1.5 Lip Enhancement
- 1.6 What to expect
- 1.7 How Long Does The Procedure Take?
- 1.8 Does It Hurt To Get Lip Fillers?
- 1.9 Will There be Any Bruising or Swelling After Having Lip Fillers?
- 1.10 How do Lip Fillers Work?
- 1.11 Can I Massage My Lips After Having Lip Fillers?
- 1.12 What is The Recovery Time After Having Lip Fillers?
- 1.13 Will There Be Any Downtime After Having Lip Fillers?
- 1.14 Will My Lip Fillers Results Appear Natural?
- 1.15 Lip Fillers on Thin Lips
- 1.16 Lip Fillers For a Small Mouth?
- 1.17 Can I have Lip Fillers If I Am Pregnant?
- 1.18 Can I Drink Alcohol Before And After Having Lip Fillers?
- 1.19 How Much Do Lip Fillers Cost?
- 1.20 Lip Filler Specials
- 1.21 Lip Fillers Pre Treatment Instructions
- 1.22 Lip Injections – Post Treatment Instructions
- 1.23 Before and After Having Lip Fillers
- 1.24 ACM Blog Posts