Hair Tattoo / Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) - Adelaide
It is very true that the hairstyle you wear is a part of who you are and your identity. Having a hairstyle you love can not only improve your appearance but also give you self confidence.
Some people suffer from psychological trauma when they start to notice thinning of their hair. This trauma may take the form of stress, anxiety, depression, social phobia and social anxiety.
If this sounds like you then you can breath a sigh of relief. There is help at hand for you in the form of scalp tattoo for hair loss also known as scalp micropigmentation (SMP).
SMP is non-invasive and non-surgical method of creating the appearance of a "buzz cut" hairstyle. Very fine micro needles are used which deposit the pigment into the scalp which creates the illusion of natural hair follicles. Scalp hair tattoo requires a highly skilled technician to place the tiny dots which are layered in different tones of black to create the illusion of natural hair shadows on the scalp.
The vast benefit of scalp tattoo for hair loss over FUE hair restoration is that there is no recovery time needed and it is considerably more affordable.
1. Boost your self esteem and look much younger than your true age
2. For thinning hair SMP can create the visual appearance of a thicker head of hair
3. Create the appearance of a real hair line from the front ,side and back
4. Hair transplants can still leave your hair with a thinning appearance. SMP can be used to help compliment the appearance of hair transplant for a more natural look
5. SMP can be used to help hide birthmarks as well as scars on the scalp
6. For those that are completely bald, SMP can create the illusion of a "buzz cut" hairstyle
How it works
What is Scalp Tattoo for hairless?
Scalp tattoo for hairless, sometimes known as hair tattoo or scalp micropigmentation (SMP), is a treatment for hair thinning or hair loss. It is a non invasive treatment and does not require surgery or anaesthesia.
Basically, a trained SMP technician will use very thin needles to deposit very small dots of pigment onto the scalp. These dots will give the illusion of thicker hair. The pigment used is an organic carbon based pigment.
In the hands of a skilled SMP technician, SMP can help hide thinning areas on your head. It can also be used to treat / hide birthmarks and scars.
Who is Hair Tattoo for?
Hair tattoo can help you create the illusion of thicker hair if you have;
- Hair loss in women
- The auto immune condition - Alopecia areata
- Hair loss from chemotherapy
- Hair loss from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- If you have hairless due to male pattern baldness - Androgenic alopecia
- If you wish to cover up scars or birthmarks on the scalp
Who is NOT suitable for scalp micropigmentation?
If you have an allergy to the ink used in scalp micropigmentation you should not undergo the treatment. It is always best to have a test patch performed first to see if you have any allergy.
If you are a keloid former then you will not be suited to this treatment.
What happens before the SMP treatment?
Before getting SMP you should;
- Before you appointment you should wash your hair and scalp.
- When you arrive for your appointment the technician will mark up the area to be treated and create the desired hairline.
- The technician will consult with you to choose a pigment colour that matches your natural hair colour.
- The technician will then apply a numbing cream to your scalp. This will make the procedure much more comfortable for you. Very thin needles will be used throughout the procedure to puncture the scalp skin.
What happens during the SMP procedure?
The SMP technician will use very fine needles to place the pigment in the scalp, in the required areas. The dots will vary in depth, size and angle to help create the illusion of natural hair.
Depending on the size of the treatment area, your treatment may take unto five hours.
Most people will require three or four treatments which are spaced a few weeks apart. Each treatment will add additional ink to the scalp to create a natural layered look of thick hair.
What happens after my SMP treatment?
SMP has has very little downtime, you should be able to resume your normal activities very quickly. SMP has very few side effects, you may have some redness or selling on your scalp which may last up to 24 hours.
What are risks and complications of SMP?
Always have your scalp micropigmentation treatment performed by a properly trained and experienced technician. Doing so will help minimise any complications.
Risks may include;
- Allergy to the cosmetic pigment
- Infection from unsterile needles
- Undesirable final result
What aftercare is required for SMP?
Following your treatment, you will need to avoid certain activities;
After the treatment, you may need to avoid certain activities for several days, including:
- Getting your scalp wet. Wear a shower cap while showering or take baths to keep your head dry. Don’t wash your hair or scalp until your provider says it’s OK to do so.
- Heavy exercise.
- Hot, steamy showers or steam rooms. The steam can cause moisture to collect on your scalp.
- Sun exposure on your scalp.
- Sweating or being in a hot environment.
Before & After
Dr Rahma Targett
Dr Rahma Targett is a General Practitioner(FRACGP), with a specialty in Cosmetic Medicine. She founded Advanced Cosmetic Medicine in 2016 and has since become well known as a trusted and in demand Cosmetic Physician in Adelaide. She has a Diploma in Dermoscopy and a Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine with the American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine. Dr Targett is a leader in her field and regularly attends Cosmetic conferences to keep up to date with modern aesthetic techniques. At advanced Cosmetic Medicine you can always be reassured that you will be welcomed and treated personally by Dr Rahma Targett.
Do you have more question? Please contact usCONTACT US
How many treatments are required?
Usually three to four treatments are required to complete a hair tattoo.
Does scalp micro pigmentation help your hair grow?
SMP is not a hair growth treatment, it does not help your existing hair to grow. SMP is a treatment to help you look like you have a fuller, thicker head of hair.
Can having SMP cause hair loss or damage to existing hair follicles?
SMP should not cause any damage or shock loss to existing hair follicles on your head.
Does SMP hurt?
Before undergoing the procedure, numbing cream will be applied to your scalp. You should feel minimal discomfort during the procedure.