As mentioned in our previous blog, it can take fourteen days for your new hair grafts to firmly implant into the scalp and become secure post your hair transplant surgery. For this reason, caring for your new hair grafts up until 14 days is crucial. The following is a simple guide, giving you "Tips for keeping your new hair grafts in good health";
Things you should do:
- After the 5th day post surgery, you should wash your hair daily. This will help remove scabs and aid healing. Use only low pressure water and do not physically touch the grafts.
- For the first 4 Days post surgery, you should spray your recipient area with saline solution regularly to help keep the grafts moist.
- You may use Paracetamol after your surgery to help ease pain and also to help you sleep.
- You should wear a loosely fitting hat for the first 14 days to protect the grafts from the sun.
Things not to do:
- Let your hair air dry. Do NOT use a towel to dry your hair.
- Do not rub or scratch your scalp.
- Do not wear tight beanie hats.
- When showering or grooming yourself, do not touch your new grafts.
- No intense physical activity for the first 14 days post surgery.
- No manipulative surgery or scalp treatments for three months following your hair transplant surgery.
- Do not expose your hair to direct sunlight for two weeks after your hair transplant surgery.
- Do not play contact sports for the first month after your surgery.
After 2 weeks have passed your grafts should be secure in your scalp. However, you should still treat the recipient area gently for up to one month.
For more information about hair transplant, please contact;
Dr Rahma Targett
Advanced Cosmetic Medicine
Unit 58/41-47 Melbourne St,
Phone 0403 690 03 for bookings.